Sunday, November 27, 2011

From THE PROGRESS OF RHYME (John Clare)









O soul enchanting poesy
Thoust long been all the world with me
When poor thy presence grows my wealth
When sick thy vision gives me health
When sad thy sunny smile is joy
And was from een a tiny boy
When trouble was and toiling care
Seemed almost more than I could bear
While thrashing in the dusty barn
Or squashing in the ditch to earn
A pittance that would scare alow
One joy to smooth my sweating brow
Where drop by drop would chase and fall
---  Thy presencetriumphed over all
The vulgar I might frown and sneer
Insult was mean – but never near
Twas poesy self that stopt the sigh
And malice met with no reply
So was it in my earlier day
When sheep to corn had strayed away
Or horses closen gaps had broke
Ere sunrise peeped and I awoke
My masters frown might force the tear
But poesy came to cheek and cheer
It glistened in my shamed eye
But ere it fell the swoof was bye
I thought of luck in future days
When even he might find a praise
I looked on poesy like a friend
To cheer me till my life should end
 [. . .]

Composed 1821-24         Firstpublished 1980







Top:  John Constable, The Hay Wain, 1821, TheNational Gallery, London

Bottom:  Site depicted in The Hay Wain, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment