Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Pretty Picture (The Three Hostages)











     They made a pretty picture – “The Prodigal’s Return” or “The Old Folks Home”,  bySimpkins, R.A., Royal Academy, 1887.  No, byHeaven,there was no suggestion of that.  It was a marvellousand tragic scene I regarded.  The fitfullightof the fire showed figures of an antique beauty and dignity.  The regal profile of the woman, her superb pose, and the soft eerie music of her voice were a world removedfrom vulgarity, and so was the lithe vigour and proud face of theman.  They were more like a king and queen in exile, decreeing the sea of blood which was to wash them back again. I realized for the first time that Medina might be damnable, but was also great.   Yes, the man who had spat on me like a stable-boyhad also something of the prince. I realized another thing.  Thewoman’s touch had flattened down the hair above hisforehead,which he brushed square, and his head, outlined in the firelight against thewhite cushion, was as round as a football.  I hadsuspected this when I first saw him, and now I was certain.  What did a head like that portend?  I had a vagueremembrance that I had heard somewhere that it meant madness – at any rate degeneracy.






No comments:

Post a Comment