Friday, April 1, 2011

The Ides Of April : "To an Income-tax inspector" -- Oscar Wilde letter, April 1889


 







 [? April 1889]                 [Woman's World, La Belle Sauvage]

Sir,

        It was arranged last year that I should send in my income-tax return from Chelsea where I reside, as I am resigning my position here and will not be with Messrs Cassell after August.  I think it would be better to continue that arrangement.  I wish your notices were not so agitating and did not hold out such dreadful threats.  A penalty of fifty pounds sounds like a relic of mediaeval torture,  

Your obedient servant, 

        OSCAR WILDE



Reader note:  Text from Cassell's Weekly, 2 May, 1923






Oscar Wilde in 1889





This post is dedicated to my wife Caroline, who suggested it.  Happy anniversary, Caroline.

No comments:

Post a Comment